Sunday, June 6, 2010

Educational iPad Apps

We love, love, love our new iPad. We use it often and are having a ball. I don't allow any mindless time-wasting game apps. I added apps that have an educational twist. Some are free. Some were a small fee. Some were a splurge.

The girls wake up early and beg to do math flash cards on the iPad -- so I can't complain.

This week I purchased DoReMemory to help my 6-year-old memorize her Treble Clef notes.
Developer Description:
DoReMemory is a music educational app created to teach early pianists where notes belong on the treble and bass clef staffs. This app takes a unique approach. You are given the name of a note. Then you tap where you think that note should be on the staff. When you are correct, the note shows up, the correct pitch plays, and stars twinkle. When you don’t tap the correct spot, an arrow directs you to the right location. There is no penalty for incorrect answers; just try again or move on to the next note. And, since there is no timer, you can take your time without feeling rushed.


My favorite splurge: Art Authority

Google Earth

Soduku

Star Walk for iPad

Pandora Radio: I set about 10 classic music stations based on my fave composers.

ArtPuzzle HD: Classic paintings by famous artists. The girls study the picture and then press the screen to scramble the picture. They spend the next 5 - 10 minutes rearranging the pieces to put the picture back together. Beautiful iPad app.

Math Bingo

MathPlay 2

MathBoard

Study Flash

FlashToPass: Math facts flashcards. The girls love this.

Ace Kids Math

GoSkyWatch

Chalk_Board

iAptitude

Stanza: Free audio books

Planets: Gorgeous visual of our planet in 'real' time. It does a lot that I haven't even looked into yet.

USA Presidents: Flashcards, pictures, info

ABC Phonics: Different activities with letter sounds, words & sentences

iPhonograms

Blackboard Sight Words: Dolch sight words

Grammar Guide

Sketchbook Pro: Doodling, drawing, whiteboard for homeschooling, etc.

Netflix: Free movies

3D Brain

History Maps Of The World

myHomework

Game Table

TangramXL

Dictionary

Scrabble

NoteBrainer

Rush Hour

Isaac Newton's Gravity Games

WarChess

Wish List: Words With Friends

8 comments:

Christina said...

I only have a few of these loaded onto my iPad...I will have to check out the rest.

Nicola said...

Do check out http://punflay.com for educational iPhone/iPad apps for kids.

Mechanical Engineer said...

Thank you for the list. Currenlty I am looking into possibly getting an iPad to use in our homeschool. My kids like the Teach me kindergarten app on my iphone.
I am starting a blog about using tablets for homeschooling. I welcome any methods you have found helpful. You can find my site about using the iPad or iPhone for homeschooling here
www.homeschooltablet.com.

Nid Vir said...

My kids simply love this FREE Ipad App named : Lazytown

It is surely one of the best Ipad apps I have seen so far.


http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lazytown-booclips/id424736849

--------

Nid Vir said...

My kids simply love this FREE Ipad App named : Lazytown

It is surely one of the best Ipad apps I have seen so far.


http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lazytown-booclips/id424736849

--------

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Wow, these Apps sound pretty cool, and the list keeps on expanding every day! Homeschool teachers no longer have to be experts in all subjects with the aid of these sorts of educational apps. Another thing to consider when using your iPad as a “workbook substitute” within the home school environment, is providing proper protection for the device. One inexpensive, alternative to the traditional case, are iBallz (www.iballz.info), which attach to the unit, which protect it while it is in use, and while it is being transported. As is, the iPad is not as durable as the traditional workbook, but it can be if you take the proper precautions! In conjunction with all the apps available today, the learning will never have to end, and we are sure that you will love, love, love iBallz as well =)

Dustin Mullenix said...

Your blog is a great resource. I love the iPad post and the fact that you posted your 3rd Grade curriculum for next year. My wife and I are home on furlough from Ukraine this summer. The content of your blog will be very helpful to us in homeschooling our children (7, 5 and 2). Keep up the good work for God's glory!