Friday, November 19, 2010

~Thanksgiving Resources~

I have compiled a list of resources for studying the Pilgrims, Plimoth Plantation, The Mayflower & the 'first' Thanksgiving.  My girls are early elementary age, but these resources could be used for older students as well.  We will revisit this unit study annually.  For now, we are having a ball with it.  We started this unit mid-November and will spend many enjoyable hours on these books & projects.  Please share your favorites that I have (or have not) listed.  Thank you, and...

Happy Thanksgiving!!


 
 
 Hands-On Activities:



Free Internet Resources:


Books
Thankfully I already own these resources as part of our American History program.

Story Of The World 3 by Susan Wise Bauer:  Ch. 6, New Colonies in the New World


Veritas Press Cards #8 ‘The Mayflower Lands & Plymoth, 1620’and #9, ‘Pilgrims Build Plymoth Colony, 1621’



The Complete Book of United States History, page 63-66, Squanto Helps The Pilgrims

BJU Heritage Studies 3, ch. 4, The New England Colonies

The Pilgrims Of Plimoth by Marcia Sewall

The Story Of The First Thanksgiving by Elaine Raphael and Don Bolognese


Audio/Video:

Your Story Hour audio series

Poem:  The Landing of the Pilgrims Audio File: here

Audio version of the book Landing Of The Pilgrims

Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, Mayflower Voyagers

The History Channel: History of US dvd:  episode 1: Rebels



Hymns:

Thanksgiving Medly on youtube
Come, Ye Thankful People, Come,
For the Beauty of The Earth

For the purpose of self-education, I read these:

11 comments:

Mary said...

I love the very colorful Mayflower pictures. We are studying the same time period right now. We use history pockets, but now I definitely need to get the 3D Interactive Maps that I have had on my wishlist.

You gals have so much fun!

Sydni said...

Beautiful! What great resources you've listed. My 1st grader would love this!

Carrie said...

This is great, Beth! I have the 3-D maps book ... can't wait to use it!

Where did you get the dry ice experiment from? Can you share what you bought and what you did? My boys would LOVE that!

Hillary said...

Thank you for all these links! I think we'll take some time from our regularly scheduled programming next week to do some of these...if I can find the time between all the cooking!!!

Mandy in TN said...

What a wonderful list of resources! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your cuties!

Bright Sky Mom said...

Great collection of resources! I wish I had some to add!
Lee

Robyn said...

Lots of great resources! We're just starting our early American study! If I run across some other good resources I'll let you know!

Cellista said...

This is a great resource! I would add the book Three Young Pilgrims by Cheryl Harness, and for your self education: the video Desperate Crossing.

Thanks for sharing!
Kristiana

Jessica Greene said...

Hi there!

As I was passing through several homeschool blogs I came across yours as a favorite of another homeschool mother's. It is absolutely wonderful! You have such a creative and engaging way of educating your kids that I can see why your ideas are inspirational to others.

I noticed on your blog that your are teaching your kids Spanish. Have you ever thought of using Latin in your curriculum? Latin is the basis of the Romance languages which include French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and other lesser known dialects. I was educated through the Christian classical tradition and learned Latin for several years. I can tell you that it has made all the difference in the world when it comes to my education and in learning other languages. Not only did I learn the ins and outs of English grammar, but also sentence structures, spelling and the tools to study other languages. What's great about Latin is that it is the foundation for all of the languages listed above. After I graduated from high school I went to Italy for a couple of weeks on holiday. After a week I could understand conversations going on around me simply because I knew Latin. It's a great and wonderful foundational tool for anyone's education. Until 100 years ago, it was a standard part of every student's education. Learning Latin not only teaches you to understand your own language better, but it also opens up a whole new door into the wisdom of the great fathers of history. So many doors open to you when you can read and understand what was the standardized language for all academic works for 1,500 years and more!

I wanted to tell you about Visual Latin. It's a great combination of videos and exercises for learning Latin. We've tried to make learning the language as enjoyable as possible. A lot of this has to do with our teacher, Dwane Thomas. Dwane actually taught me Latin so I can testify to his skill as a teacher. He's great and makes what could be dense work into an enjoyable journey learning a language that is foundational to Western history, philosophy, history, art, and science. The great thing about the program is that you can work through it as slowly or quickly as you like. It's portable, so you can do lessons anywhere and if you miss anything you can simply rewind and watch again.

Right now we offer a full semester's course in 2 discs. Each disc contains 10 lessons. You can actually preview a lesson here if you have a few minutes:

http://www.visuallatin.com/watch

I'd love to talk to you more. If you are interested in our product, I would love to give you a 25% off discount. Please feel free to email me at info@visuallatin.com and we can chat more.

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Jessica
Visual Latin

Jessica Greene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica Greene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.