Saturday, September 18, 2010

Weekly Report: September 13 - 17, 2010


(Disclaimer:  This is my blog and I reserve the right to make typographical, spelling & grammatical errors.)
Week 2 was a vast improvement over Week 1.  I have found the routine that works wonderfully for our family.  The juggling act consists of managing all the members of this household and the work it takes to keep this ship running at a good clip.  Coordinating the needs of my sophomore and his school/church/sports schedule/activities and commitments – in combination with the needs of myself, hubby and 3 fully homeschooled girls is no simple task.  I am on my game from moment one (which, in my case, is 6 AM).   My personal time is limited and I use it wisely.  If I’m not homeschooling, I’m planning ahead for the next day's (or next week's) lessons, reading or self-educating. That is how I spent my entire last summer while we gradually phased into homeschooling.  Over the summer we spent 2 hours/day in formal schooling -- as compared to now when we spend closer to 5-6 hours.  I'm hoping to find time for a daily walk.  For now, I'm content with grabbing a few moments for another cup of coffee and a phone call with a friend or family member.  Once I get more accustomed to this new paradigm, I'll be able to 'get out more'.  My friends are hoping it's sooner than later.

I relish the quite moments in the early morning (before the inmates stir) to read my Bible, pray and worship.  I am utterly lost without Jesus guiding my every step.  I want Him to say, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant.’  I get one shot at this life and I want it to matter.  I want to leave a legacy.  I can't pour into others unless my cup is full -- and through trial & error -- I have learned that only Jesus can fil my cup to overflowing.  Anything else is counterfeit. 

In terms of our homeschool, I have accepted the stark realization that our weekly academic accomplishments are completely dependent on MY motivation level.  Thankfully I am highly motivated and committed to this calling.  The reasons are many and varied as to why we have chosen this route.  Regardless of the reasons, I vow not to shortchange these kids one iota, but in contrast challenge them individually, finding that sweet spot which is unique for each of them, and give them the best education they could possibly receive.  It will not be perfect, but with the wisdom and direction God has given Greg & I, it will be purposeful and thorough.  Will there be gaps?  Sure. But I will do my best to prepare these kids for life beyond these 4 walls.  They will be well-read, well-thought and well-trained.  They deserve nothing less.  I am their teacher.  I am responsible for their education.

Anna is in 8th grade performing at a high school level in all subjects.  Thankfully she is a self-starter/self-educator/independent worker who meets her deadlines and values her education. She has a rigorous workload which requires organization and discipline.  We are gearing up for high school and the level of responsibility that will require.  She finds time to play her piano throughout the day, which is music to this mom's ears.  I love hearing her play. 

Abi is functioning as a 3rd grader (although technically in 2nd grade).  She is a diligent and eager learner.  She reads hours and hours each day.  Abi is curious and loves conversing about all the new facts she is learning and reading about.   We're excited for piano lessons to start next month.

Aly is a curious and eager 1st grader who has discovered the power of reading.  My goal for this year is to get her reading fluently.  She is nearly there.  We have our reading time together each morning and afternoon as well as her SSR (Sustained Silent Reading) which requires her to sit (which can present a challenge for this wiggly-willly) and discover ‘alone’ the wonder of the written word.  She has older siblings who model this skill and it appears she is realizing the fun that reading can offer.  We are a big reading family so it’s natural to find the house silent with everyone in their own corner with a book.  Our ‘no-tv’ experiment has worked.  I decided a year ago to limit the girls’ tv viewing to educational programs only on the weekend with dad.  Their natural inclination is to read when ‘bored’.  I know I won’t regret enforcing this habit early.

Here is this week’s summary….

ABI:

Bible:   CLE Bible 2, daily lesson, nightly reading from Taylor’s Bible Story Book, VP Bible memory cards

Hymnody: Come Thou Fount

Math: Singapore Math (fractions) , TT (mult, place value, money)

Reading: Farmer Boy, On The Banks of Plum Creek,  2 lessons CLE Reading 3, SSR

Read-Aloud with Anna: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Writing: Writing With Ease 2 daily lessons (copy work, narration, dication)

Grammar:  Shurley Grammar 3, chapter 7, subject pronoun, Grammar Island (read/discuss with Mom)

Spelling: SWR List L-2, daily phonogram/spelling rule review

Cursive: daily cursive copy work

Poetry & Shakespeare:  nightly listening on iPod before bed

History Memory Work:  discuss/memorize William The Conqueror

History Time Line Cards & Song (CC):  Veritas Press cards 1 - 16

Geography Memory Work: European Waters & Countries

Science: Biomes (Grasslands, Deserts, Scrublands, Tundra, Deciduous Forests,  Coniferous Forests, Tropical Rain Forests), Consumers (Herbivores, Carnivores, Omnivores). Science experiment:  light refraction

Latin:  1st Conjugation—Present Tense: AMO

Spanish: audio in car

PE: Soccer

Drama: Christian Youth Theater class

Art: local art class

Classical Conversations:  Wednesday class.  What a joy to learn our memory work for our Bible, history, geography, grammar, Latin, science and art in this setting!


ALY:


Bible:  daily reading, prayer & worship with Mom, VP Bible memory cards

Hymnody & Worship:  Come Thou Fount

Math: RightStart daily lessons (place value, addition, tens, hundreds on abacus), Singapore Math (parts & wholes), TT 3 lesson 1

Reading:  Frog & Toad,  SSR

Read-Aloud with Anna: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Grammar & Writing: Writing With Ease daily lesson (copy work & narration), Shurley jingles, classifying simple sentences with subject noun/verb

Spelling: SWR List A-2, daily phonogram/spelling rule review

Cursive: daily copy work

Poetry & Shakespeare:  nightly listening on iPod before bed & in car

History Memory Work:  discuss/memorize William The Conqueror

History Time Line Cards & Song (CC):  Veritas Press cards 1 - 16

Geography Memory Work: European Waters & Countries

Science: Biomes (Grasslands, Deserts, Scrublands, Tundra, Deciduous Forests, Coniferous Forests, Tropical Rain Forests), Consumers (Herbivores, Carnivores, Omnivores).  Science experiment:  light refraction

Latin:  1st Conjugation—Present Tense: AMO

Spanish: audio in car

PE: Soccer

Music: Piano class & daily practice

Drama: Christian Youth Theater class

Art: local art class

Classical Conversations:  Wednesday class.  What a joy to learn memory work for our Bible, history, geography, grammar, Latin, science and art in this setting!

ANNA:


Bible:  Daily Bible reading, More Than A Carpenter

Math: Chalk Dust Algebra 1 daily lesson

American Lit: The Scarlet Letter, The Miracle Worker

Writing/Grammar: The Potters School English class (Memoir)

Vocabulary:  Word Within The Word

History: The Potters School US History class online, finished reading William Bradford, Pilgrim Boy

Geography:  The Potters School Geography class, chapter 1

Science:  Bob Jones Physical Science class, 3 experiments

Spanish: Spanish 2 Class, daily reading, conversation & grammar study

Music: Piano (daily practice 1 hour), Choir class w/ daily practice

Drama: Improv class at CYT

Community Service:  Keyboard for kids’ worship team, Sunday School Teacher

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"In terms of our homeschool, I have accepted the stark realization that our weekly academic accomplishments are completely dependent on MY motivation level." This is so true, and it took me a while to figure this out. Thanks for reminding me.

WildIris said...

I appreciate your thoughtful introduction. My DD~13 is also a self-starter, a big reader and plays piano. They sound very similar. I look forward to reading more of your weekly posts.

Daisy said...

Great post and a great inspiration. You've shared a wonderful testimony of how Christ is enabling you.

We are a huge reading family also. Can't survive without those books. :-p

Norah said...

Wonderful week! Love your inspiration.